According to media buyers who spoke to Ad Age, the cost of a 30-second ad in the final episode of ABC’s Lost will cost an extraordinary $900,000.
The show’s rabid fan base and the intense scrutiny surrounding the final episodes has seen prices skyrocket from last year’s upfront where a 30-second spot for Lost was selling for an average of $213,563.
The 10 most powerful words in advertising:
10. New — It’s part of basic human makeup to seek novelty.
9. Save — We all want to save something.
8. Safety — This could refer to health or long-lasting quality.
7. Proven — Helps remove fear from trying something new.
6. Love — Continues to be an all-time favorite.
5. Discover — Presents a sense of excitement and adventure.
4. Guarantee — Provides a sense of safety at the time of purchase.
3. Health — Especially powerful when it applies to a product.
2. Results — Works in rationalizing a purchase.
1. You — Listed as the #1 most powerful word in every study reviewed. Because of the personal nature of advertising copywriting, you should use “you” in your headline, opening line and as often as possible. In fact, many copywriters will throw out a headline if “you” is not in it.